Real-time Response to Actual Traffic
Surtrac optimizes traffic signal performance second-by-second based on actual traffic on the road, not just historical averages.
With advanced sensing, Surtrac can integrate vehicle, pedestrian, bus, and bicycle traffic flows automatically or according to pre-specified priorities.
Optimized for Complex Grids, Not Just Corridors
While Surtrac is capable of handling suburban corridors with a single dominant flow, it really shines when optimizing more complex grid networks with multiple competing Multi-modal flows that change throughout the day.
Decentralized and Inherently Scalable
Surtrac is decentralized and scalable to networks of any size and shape and can be deployed incrementally as budgets allow.
Communicates with Connected Travelers
Surtrac was designed with the future in mind - with connected and autonomous vehicle capabilities built-in.
For a Complete Overview of Features & Technical Specifications: Click here
HOW IT WORKS
1. Surtrac gets real-time, multi-modal traffic information from detectors at the intersection and uses these data to build a model of the actual travelers approaching the intersection and where they are headed.
2. Surtrac optimizes over this model second-by second using its artificial intelligence scheduling technology to build a plan of how best to move travelers through the intersection as actual traffic evolves.
3. Based on this plan, Surtrac communicates projected traffic flows to neighboring intersections so they can optimize over a longer planning horizon and create real-time coordination of traffic flows through the road network.
4. Surtrac then sends commands to the traffic signal controller at the intersection to control phase durations in real-time.
5. Surtrac can also communicate with connected travelers, including connected vehicles, pedestrians, transit, as well as other systems (e.g., central traffic management systems).
BENEFITS OF SURTRAC
In addition to reducing the direct and indirect costs of traffic congestion, Surtrac can help:
• Improve mobility within a city - especially as population, tourism, and economic activity increases - making a city more liveable for its residents and attractive to businesses and tourists
• Drive value from other smart city and loT investments - Surtrac is generally agnostic to the type of sensors it uses and improves its optimization planning as more information from loT sensors becomes available
• Prepare a city for the future - Surtrac is designed with forward-looking functionality that allows for CAV (connected/ autonomous vehicle) and V2X (vehicle-toeverything) communication supporting the evolution of multi-modal mobility trends within urban areas
Because Surtrac is a decentralized system, groups of intersections can be added to the network over time, reducing the cost and implementation risk of having to transition an entire city grid at once.
Further, Surtrac is designed to be minimally invasive at each intersection, and is generally agnostic to the type of detection and signal controller which often allows a city to take advantage of existing equipment investments.
All that is needed for the software to operate is a connection to the existing detection system (generally video, but sometimes radar and loops), a similar connection to the signal controller (ideally, but not necessarily running NTCIP), and then the ability to communicate to each immediate “neighbor” intersection in the grid. Usually Surtrac is run on a small computer in the traffic control cabinet, but can sometimes be run from existing hardware already in the cabinet.
Surtrac is designed to be fast to install while minimizing disruption for travelers. After all detection and communication is in place, Surtrac processors are installed at each intersection. All components (networking, detection, controller communication) are tested once Surtrac is configured for the intersection. A period of limited turn on testing ensures Surtrac is setup and operating correctly at each intersection. For the first few weeks Surtrac is actively controlling the network, Rapid Flow closely monitors performance and makes adjustments to detection and setup as necessary. After Surtrac has been running in a stable way for several weeks, Rapid Flow performs an on/off performance evaluation, comparing Surtrac to the pre-existing timing plans in the network.
While Surtrac has its own dashboard that can be accessed on both desktop computers and mobile/smartphones, it can also share this information via an integration/API with a third-party central monitoring dashboard or user interface.
Surtrac Product Sheet
Click the link below to download the Surtrac Product Sheet.
Adaptive Signal Control with Miovision & Rapid Flow Technologies
Miovision TrafficLink and Surtrac by Rapid Flow Technologies work together to deliver an industry-leading system for multimodal detection, adaptive signal control, and signal performance measures.